Root can't login (not a password issue)

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue May 10 22:18:02 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 5:26 pm, neidorff wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have configured kdm as my login manager for kde.  It seems that
> there is some sort of system wide policy that doesn't allow root
> logins into kde.  Where is this set and how can I change it? If its
> not a good idea, could someone please explain why?  (I can "su -" with
> no problem in a terminal)

I started a huge discussion on this over on the kde-redhat list;
It is now acknowledged to be a bug by numerous folks including some of the
developers of kde-redhat -
Here's a temporary workaround posted in that forum:

"OK ... so now we know where the problem lies specifically, here is a better
workaround

As root you will need to edit the file

/etc/rc.local

Go to the very bottom of the file and add the line

rm -Rf /var/tmp/kdecache-*

***************************
VERY IMPORTANT - Press enter after you've added the line to leave a blank line
at the bottom
**************************

Eli"

Run that command as well from a terminal as root, or reboot after adding the
line to rc.local - depending on your kde version, the file you have to delete
may be in a different place - you may want to go take a look at the whole
thread here:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kde.redhat.user
do a search on "dcop server"

--