Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 11 07:39:48 UTC 2005

Chris Stark wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 2:40 pm, Edgar Ribeiro wrote:
>
>>I really suggest TOSHIBA Satellite A75-s211 or s231.
>>
>>I use s231 with Windows XP Home and Fedora 3.
>>
>>It's perfect.
>

> I second the vote for Toshiba. I have a Satellite P25-???
>
> It's a 3GHz P4 with a 17" wide screen. I got it about the time FC1 came out,
> and Fedora is all that has been running on it ever since. My only gripe is
> the 10/100 Ethernet, though I could always just buy a PCMCIA Gigabit adapter.
> Oh yeah, it weighs 10+ pounds (it really is a portable desktop).

My experince with my Tosh Sat 1400 is fine. Wireless would work if I had
it, all but the infernal modem and susp work with standard kernels, both
of those can reportedly be made to work.

This is interesting. I'm cutting and pasting from sounder at lists.ubuntu.com

"""
We got in a new loaner from LinuxCertified.com, the brand new LC2210D
model: a Centrino 1.80 GHz CPU, 512 MBs of RAM, Intel Extreme gfx
card, 40 GB drive and a 14" XGA TFT screen. The laptop comes with the
latest Ubuntu installed and sells for $1249.

../..

Conclusion:
This is a great laptop, hardware-speaking. But Ubuntu and some of LC's
setup have their problems

../..

"""

Not too good-looking an article for Ubuntu, I fear. Nevertheless, I
learned it's now possible to buy an Ubuntu-preloaded machine - and
scouting linuxcertified machines reviews around the web, I couldn't
find another one featuring Ubuntu.

Now, probably a laptop that runs Ubuntu runs FC too.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait