OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Wed May 11 09:10:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 03:53:25PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

> Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

> >* Haven't tried the printer config in Ubuntu, but I have a sneaking
> >suspicion that it might be another sticking point.

> Plug in a USB printer, I would expect (as on FC) a GUI to pop up. On FC
> I configure network printers with CUPS - the RH tool does not work
> satsifactorily. You should see how a RH-configured CUPS printer appears
> to my Mac:-((

A GUI did not pop up for (local) USB printer.
And the printer configuration tool does not work 100% smoothly
(indeed just like gui network config). Took some messing around
to get everything working including printing test page (and I never
did succeed in printing a proper test page, probably a bug).

(And I could have spared myself the trouble because the gimp-print-4.2.7
 driver for 'epson stylus photo r200' is not adequate for photo printing
 anyway. And somehow the results are even worse than under FC3).

Alexander