Playing DVD freezes the computer

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:14:20 UTC 2005

Xiaotian Sun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I never had this problem before.  But yesterday when I was watching a
> DVD on my FC3 box using xine 0.99.3, suddenly in the middle of
> playback, the whole computer froze: no response to keyboard, mouse, or
> remote log in.  I had to do a hard reset.
>
> Then I switch mplayer, it was fine for like 10 minutes, then the
> computer froze again.
>
> I couldn't figure out what went wrong.  There's nothing obviously
> wrong in the log.
>
> Another question, what is the difference between libdvdcss and
> libdvdcss2?  I have libdvdcss-1.2.8 installed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xiaotian

Have you ever played that particular DVD title on your computer before?
Some studio-pressed DVD titles display erratic and unpredictable
behavior when you play them with one or more DVD playing applications.
That's why I install several on my machine. I've had titles play in
accelerated mode, and I've had other titles refuse to play at all, even
though the disks mounted.

And while I'm on the subject: I have /never/ been able to play any DVD
title that I created using the "DVD Builder" application from Roxio. I
always get an error message questioning my rights to the title.

Temlakos