Yum and Filed Dependencies

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu May 12 17:26:30 UTC 2005

Once thing you can really hate about Yum: suppose you're running yum -y update
to update a whole bunch of files, like, say two dozen (assume a fresh
install).  If just ONE of those files has missing dependencies, then the
entire Yum process bombs, and NONE of the files install.

Since last night, Yum's been bombing on me because of a missing dependency:

Error: Missing Dependency: libiso9660.so.4 is needed by package vcdimager
Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio.so.5 is needed by package vcdimager
Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio.so.5(CDIO_5) is needed by package vcdimager
Error: Missing Dependency: libiso9660.so.4(ISO9660_4) is needed by package
vcdimager

According to my Googling, all of those dependencies should be provided by
libcdio, which I have:

root at YOG-SOTHOTH: ~
# rpm -qa | grep libcdio
libcdio-0.70-0.fdr.1.2

Attempting to update libcdio through Yum tells me,

# yum -y update libcdio.i386
[...]
Could not find update match for libcdio.i386
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

I haven't been able to find a more recent version of libcdio anywhere.

No need to reply.  I'm just venting.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com