how-to for x-terminal newbie

Garry Harthill gazzerh at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:21:50 UTC 2005

On 13/05/05, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> >
> >> I would install Windows or a small Linux distribution on your laptop.
> >> Install VNC on your main Linux box then use VNC client on your Laptop.
> >>

> > Does that mean that I _for example_ could install damn small linux + vnc
> > client?
>
> Probably. I'm not that clear on what's in DSL or how to expand it. _I_
> might install Debian for such a task.
>
>  > If yes how do i get into this vnc client thing to make it do
> > something.
> > [root at 3e6b2ac7 ~]# vnc
> >
> AFAIK no VNC package includes a program called vnc. Type vnc<tab> and
> see what it expands to.
> Better,
> locate '*bin*vnc*'
>
> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa at computerdatasafe.com.au  Z1aaaaaaa at computerdatasafe.com.au
> Tourist pics http://portgeographe.environmentaldisasters.cds.merseine.nu/
>
> --

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Fedora (all versions) includes Xvnc,
vncviewer, etc. To use vncviewer however you need to install X on your
laptop. So the installation won't be that small. All you need to run
is vncviewer; then all programs are run on the server. There is also a
vncviewer for windows as well. So you can connect to your fedora box
from within windows.

locate vnc
should show you that all the binaries are in /usr/bin/