Online Installation of FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri May 13 08:45:31 UTC 2005

manish kumar wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 Paul Howarth wrote :
>
>  >What do you mean by "online"? A network install, an install of a
> machine at a remote location, or an upgrade of an existing system that
> you want to remain online during most of the upgrade process?
>  >
> online => Network install. If I remember correctly, earlier
> Redhat/Fedora used to allow one to create a floppy boot disk via which
> you can initiate installation. Then the installation will proceed by
> downloading packages from HTTP/FTP sites. Is it still possible for FC3?
> I couldn't locate info about it on the site.

Yes, this is still possible. See the RHEL4 installation guide, which is
pretty much identical to the process you'll need to follow for Fedora:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/

You won't be able to boot from a floppy, but you can make a small boot
CD or use a USB key to boot the installer.

> Also I want to know if it is possible to upgrade an RH8 distro to FC3.

Technically possible, but I'd strongly suggest doing a fresh install
instead, as *much* has changed between RH8 and FC3.

>  >P.S. Please try to avoid posting HTML to this mailing list if it all
> possible.
>  >
> Sorry about that. Looks like rediff forces the mail content in HTML. If
> this problem persists, Please let me know. I will subscribe using other
> account.

Still HTML. It might be an idea to switch to a different account.

Paul.