[OT] ISO _good_ 802.11g router

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri May 13 10:37:53 UTC 2005

I have a Linksys WR54G (V2) router

It works well - except the connection seems to drop under load.

For example - if I use a remote yum repository, the downloads only come
in as fast as my bandwidth and all is fine. But with local mirror, and
all the bandwidth it can handle w/ 802.11g, it often will stall out for
a few seconds - requiring me to run yum update again (sometimes multiple
times) before all the updates are grabbed.

It also does this on occasion when scanning my imap folders (imap server
on lan)

These problems happen on multiple wireless clients on multiple operating
systems, and do not happen on wired clients.

There also are occasions where it just dies completely and I have to
reboot it. That seems to mostly be caused by large number of network
requests (IE bittorrent - I no longer use BT on wireless clients).

Other than that it's perfectly fine.

It is the wireless router - any ssh shells become unresponsive when this
happens, and the Network Monitor applet shows a loss of signal.

1) I know this router uses Linux - and there are some third party
firmware that give shell access. Is this something that perhaps could be
tweaked to work better?

2) Assuming 1 is a nogo - can someone recommend a good _solid_ 802.11g
wifi router?
I'm thinking I want to stay away from another consumer model, I want
something that works - even if it costs more. Typically I only have a
few wireless clients at a time - never more than 5, so one would think a
home/consumer model should suffice - but I'd rather have something
designed to handle bandwidth than something that has momentary dropouts
and occasionally crashes.