[OT] ISO _good_ 802.11g router

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri May 13 23:43:20 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> 2) Assuming 1 is a nogo - can someone recommend a good _solid_ 802.11g
> wifi router?
> I'm thinking I want to stay away from another consumer model, I want
> something that works - even if it costs more. Typically I only have a
> few wireless clients at a time - never more than 5, so one would think a
> home/consumer model should suffice - but I'd rather have something
> designed to handle bandwidth than something that has momentary dropouts
> and occasionally crashes.

I'm using an HP Vectra VE running Debian (I used an FC3 beta for a
while) for my AP/router. It has two NICs plus a prism54-based wireless
card and a modem.

I've  never had the kinds of problems you have, but then I never have
more than three clients, have never used BT - but I have transferred
some fairly hefty files over it.

My boss has had problems with his wireless, using Airport Extreme and OS
X clients. He want to know where his DSL bandwidth was going. Turned out
his wireless was going very slowly.

btw There is also third-party slushware for your linksys. Google some
more for it.

--

Cheers
John