DIsk Druid Bugs in installation of latest Fedora

pking123 at sympatico.ca pking123 at sympatico.ca
Sat May 14 13:42:04 UTC 2005

I am going on my memory of this, so please pardon the vagueness.

I have a few problems with the latest Fedora install system. The installation gave no
other option for configuring hard disks other than to use Disk Druid. DIsk Druid could
not handle one of my hard drives, and I believe it was the one located on my Promis
Card. It complained that it could not read the partition table. I was not happy with this,
since this HD contained the partitions for /home and /usr/local/. fdisk had no problem
reading this disk when I went to a separate console. In fact, mount also worked.

The deal with the install program is that it refused to go ahead unless there was a
/home partition somewhere (there should be no reason for this). With nothing
entered for /home, it first installed in the / partition, and /usr/local/ could also be dealt
with. The problem was that /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab were not set up so I could just
edit it to put the right information in, so I was stuck, since there appeared to be no
documentation on how to set it up. It appears that once you use DD, everything is
written in stone and there is no turning back.

So, I tried the installation again. What it decided then to do is wipe out the partition
table after only instructing it to mount the partitions and not reformat them (it didn't
ask before doing so) and set up new partitions in their place.

What I want to know is, why insist on ONLY using DD for configuring the HDs? And
why was /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab mucked with so much and not documented?

Paul