ramifications of using a stock kernel?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Sat May 14 18:01:19 UTC 2005

Apparently the FC kernels are all hacked/patched by Red Hat.  Thus things
like ndiswrapper won't compile against them.  I need two things that
require a stock kernel from kernel.org:  ndiswrapper, and an unofficial
patch that makes my stupid Dell Inspiron 6000's DVD player use DMA.

Now my question is what ramifications will there be for using a stock kernel
on an FC3 system.  What will break?

Oh, I have a second question.  Where can I get the stock FC3 kernel config
file.  Honestly, the kernel has gotten so big, that I have no idea which
options should be turned off or on.  Its nice to just load the default FC3
one, but I don't know where it is.

Thanks for the info.