alsa 1.0.6 won't make

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun May 15 21:49:26 UTC 2005

You look in /root/install.log that's the list of everything installed on
the system by fedora. What I found out enabled me to get alsa-1.0.6
working but I didn't end up building alsa-driver-1.0.6 to do it though.
I'm documenting it here in the hope it will help a few people.  One of the
packages that's not installed as a server type fedora system is
alsa-utils-1.0.6.  I noticed that missing in the install.log file.  So I
went out to ftp://alsa-project.org/alsa-utils/ and downloaded the 1.0.6
version and built it.  That's the package that contains alsaconf and
without alsaconf you are s.o.l.  So with alsaconf in place I ran it and
agreed to the modification of /etc/modules.conf and selected my sound card
an snd-ens1371 at the top of the list by hitting the return on the ok
button when that list came up.  Next I hit return to allow the script to
do its thing.  It couldn't find rc.alsasound but said the system was ready
so I rebooted to take advantage of the new /etc/modules.conf.  Could just
as easily have typed source /etc/modules.conf but the coffee level was
under where it should have been at the time.  Next I used aumix -v
100;aumix -c 100;aumix -p 100;aumix -m 100 to adjust volumes.  Then I
tried aplay -q /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Start.wav for a test.  Believe me
you'll know whether your sound card is working after that for sure! It was
a reboot and another try and still the sound played. Okay, before doing
the first reboot that brought speakup up I had used a script found at
http://www.draikes.com called cfg-gnome.sh sh cfg-gnome.sh in root
directory.  I found typing startx only got gnopernicus talking partially
not all windows were created.  So I did telinit 5 and gnopernicus so far
as I can tell came up completely. I haven't tried it with starting the
system up with just X on a line by itself but that will be the next
experiment since that way I can leave the system at a default run level of
3 and run X when I have a mind to do so.  The goal is to find out how to
duplicate this same success on debian and slackware and then write a howto
for gnopernicus covering all three of those systems.