Where are the man pages!! Package maintainers!

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Mon May 16 01:00:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 05:12 -0400, - wrote:
> Making use of Fedora's shell is becoming absolutely
> useless!! Alot of manpages for Extra pacakges are not
> even bundled.. and making use of apropos is becoming
> more and more powerless.

Much of the core stuff has their man pages in a separate package called
man-pages. Do you have that installed?

> Enforce this policy, on
> Debian these policies are very well defined and all my
> packages show up switfly with apropos.

Even bluefish? I find it hard to believe that Fedora packagers drop man
pages out of malice or laziness, if they really exist.

> Now what's so
> hard about including manpages and whatis support with
> the packages? If i want to know which program I have
> for html editing for eg, bluefish would not show up
> under apropos nor whatis.

That's right, the bluefish-0.13-0.fdr.2.2 (still on FC2 over here)
package doesn't contain a man page :( However, I believe this is because
nobody has written one yet. If Debian has a bluefish man page I wonder
where they got it from?

> -- There are also core system
> utilities that are not even bundled with manpages--

As mentioned above, install package man-pages.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that man pages are in important part
of any Unix system, and are not be neglected. It would appear that this
is an area where OSS users that think they can't contribute anything of
value (because they lack coding skills) could really get cracking...:)

Cheers
Steffen.