Backup mail server?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon May 16 15:33:44 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 16.05.2005 schrieb Noticias DGDC um 17:17:

> I want to install a backup mail server, at this
> moment I have the main server running and I have the old server of
> mail disconnected of the network, my question is if I can maintain
> both servers connected and configure the dns so that the old server works
> when the present one has some fault, and update both, thanks for your
> comments

> Hugo

Set up 2 MX records in DNS with different priorities for both mail
hosts. Be aware that you have to protect the secondary MTA like the
primary as especially spammers tend to ignore the highest priority MTA
and try to get their crap to the low priority system as such are often
less protected against spam/worms. On the secondary MTA you have to
configure to relay to the primary.
You should ask yourself why you think you need a backup mail server
(MTA). Do you expect the primary one to be down for several days?
Normally sending MTAs should try to deliver mail for up to 5 days. Only
then after 5 days of failures the sender will get a message about the
failure at then recipient side.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:27:01 up 2 days, 16:59, load average: 0.11, 0.16, 0.09