ClamAV updates (Dag repository source)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon May 16 18:51:08 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 16.05.2005 schrieb Matt Morgan um 20:38:

> I installed ClamAV along with its related parts (clamav-milter, clamd,
> clamav-db, clamav-devel) from the Dag repository. Dag's packages are a
> bit more convenient to use than some others. I also set up yum to
> update clam* against dag.
>
> On Dag's page about his clam rpm's
> (http://dag.wieers.com/packages/clamav/), he says
>
> "Most importantly, the virus database is kept up to date." What I
> think he means is that by using yum and updating clamav-db, my virus
> definitions will be kept up to date via yum. In other words, that I
> should NOT use freshclam to manage virus definitions updates. Is that
> correct?

No. The virus definitions are quickly outdated.

$ rpm -qpli clamav-db-0.84-1.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm
[ ...]
Summary     : Virus database for clamav
Description :
The actual virus database for clamav
/etc/cron.daily/freshclam
/etc/logrotate.d/freshclam
/var/clamav
/var/clamav/daily.cvd
/var/clamav/main.cvd
/var/log/clamav
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log

It ships virus definitions - the 2 .cvd files - but they should be kept
up to date running freshclam. This is very essential to be protected
against current virus' and worms. The daily.cvd is frequently updated by
the ClamAV project guys. Without fetching regularly you will quickly
make your ClamAV install partly useless, as it will only detect older
malware.

> Matt

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 20:43:02 up 2 days, 20:15, load average: 0.24, 0.24, 0.20