List policy (was RE: telnet and rsh slow to respond)

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed May 18 00:55:12 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:
> Nobody criticised your email client, just your thoughtless use of it.
> Users of Lookout, Lookout Express and other Redmond malware are welcome,
> but they are expected to observe the courtesies.
>
> One of which is no HTML.
>
> I'm sure that if you check your email client's setting you will discover
> how to turn HTML  (and so improve your and our security).

It doesn't sound as though this is the case here, but Exchange
administrators can over-ride those settings when Outlook is set to use
the Microsoft binary protocol to communicate. They also get to turn off
SMTP relaying, turn off POP3 and IMAP delivery, and firewall the
machines so users have to use Outlook and the proprietary connection.

(As a result, most Outlook worms break because they have their own SMTP
engine, and there's nothing listening...)

I must admit that I've administered one of these setups. I set Exchange
to always send everything outside the organisation in plain text, and
waited for someone to notice.

I'm still waiting.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Watch your grammar, teams: the double negative is a
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | complete no-no.