sshd restart?

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Wed May 18 01:56:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Knute Johnson wrote:

>Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 18:45:26 -0700
>From: Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com>
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>Subject: sshd restart?
>
> When I restart my sshd I get the following in /var/log/secure.  I'm
> curious as to why the Bind failed and why there would be a bind after
> the port is already open?
>
> Thanks,
>
> knute...
>
> May 17 17:42:55 ljr-4 sshd[12018]: Received signal 15; terminating.
> May 17 17:42:55 ljr-4 sshd[19052]: Server listening on :: port 22.
> May 17 17:42:55 ljr-4 sshd[19052]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0
> failed: Address already in use.

They are separate messages.

The first message is I think a successful bind to an ipv6 address.
The second is an attempted bind to ipv4 address which seems to be already
in use.

You could see if anything is holding the port open with fuser

/sbin/fuser -n tcp 22

then if it lists a process id you can grep that out of the process table

ps aux | grep PID where PID is the numeric ID

Now, if no pid is shown, andI've had this in the past with linux, it could
be that the port is still marked as being in use somehow (kernel?)

Usually at that point the only course of action is reboot.

Cheers,

Al