missing operating system problem

Mark A. Beaumont m.a.beaumont at reading.ac.uk
Wed May 18 10:20:22 UTC 2005

When I go into rescue mode I get, e.g.:

Your system is mounted under the /mnt/sysimage directory

Sh-3.00# df -l
Filesystem           1K-blocks       Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                7163          4937      1817   74% /
/dev/root.old         7163          4937      1817   74% /
/tmp/loop0           179924       179924         0  100% /mnt/runtime
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
                   151560372      3469504 140392028    3% /mnt/sysimage
/dev/sda1            101086        13972     81895   15% /mnt/sysimage/

                                                                    boot
/dev/root.old         7163         4937      1817   74% /mnt/sysimage/
                                                                    dev

My grub.conf (in /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub) is

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  you have a /boot partition. This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/ , eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667smp)
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
                                                               rhgb quiet
          initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
                                                               rhgb quiet
          initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

Concerning disks - there is just one: a 160GB SATA hard drive. The BIOS
is currently set to boot floppy, CD, hard-drive; I've fiddled with
ordering etc, but makes now difference.

--
Mark A. Beaumont,
School of Animal and Microbial Sciences,

Tel 0118 378 7707
Fax 0118 931 0180
Email: m.a.beaumont at reading.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.rubic.rdg.ac.uk/~mab/