Which wireless card?

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Wed May 18 16:07:22 UTC 2005

Sasa Stupar wrote:

> I am thinking to move my server (FC3) from the office room to a
> basement and to connect it via wireless network. I am just wondering
> which PCI cards (or USB) works well under FC3 and are not very
> complicated to setup? I have a Netgear wi-fi router WGT624GR.

I really wouldn't suggest this.  Wireless is great but at it's best it's
not going to be as reliable and fast as good ol' CAT5.  At it's worst,
you'll get dropped server connections, poor performance, data
corruption, lots of bad things.  Put your wireless AP|router in the
basement and the server right next to it, connection via CAT5.  As far
as card recommendations, Atheros based chips work pretty well with the
madwifi driver.

--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator