access permission on mounted fat32 drive

Kai Zhang cmskzhan at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:09:22 UTC 2005

Thanks all, but the problem still persists.
I am using an server with SCSI HDs
I appended this in fstab
/dev/sdb5   /home/kaizhang/xp   vfat    auto,users,rw,gid=100,umask=777   0 0

then mount -a as root

now I can't even get into the directory!

Help!

Fred Morcos wrote:

>     On 5/17/05, Kai Zhang <cmskzhan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>     I have mounted a fat32 drive in my home directory. But I can only
>>     read
>>     it. i have write access when login as a root or su. tried chmod +777
>>     <directory name>, no joy.
>>     Any suggestion?
>>
>>     --
>>

>     i assume u edited fstab, in the <mount options> column, use
>     "umask=000" (without the quotes)..

   you may change the line in fstab to let user or users to have a rwx
   , instead of root only

   eg

   /dev/hda5    /mnt/dos    vfat    users,noauto   0 0

   then as  a root, do 'mount -a'

this is what my /etc/fstab entry looks like...  I created a separate
group that I gave access to my windows side of the box... (so my kid
can't mess anything up over there...)

/dev/sda1        /windows/XP        auto
users,rw,noexec,uid=500,gid=500,umask=007    0 0

Hope all those ideas help.