cc poster

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu May 19 12:46:11 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:
> I know some think it a courtesy to send copies to the originator of
> email send to lists.
>
> OTOH others find it a discourtesy. I belong to this second group.
>
> The only argument I've seen that has any merit for the first group's POV
> is "so that they get it sooner."

In general, I agree. I will admit to CCing certain posters

 * when they come to the list solely to get help on one particular
   problem

 * when it's been a week or so since they posted, no-one's responded,
   and I've taken pity on them and helped as best they can.

Under these circumstances, I'm not sure if they're still watching the
list.

> And, please don't set reply-to in your email clients. I often find my
> outgoings in need of pruning.

Um. IMHO if they set reply-to, they're *asking* you to CC them, and
there's no reason not to honour that.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "It was rare to catch His Holiness at the moment of
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | transformation into the Infallible Hulk."