Backup mail server?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu May 19 11:57:49 UTC 2005

Steffen Kluge wrote:

> Only if it doesn't find one it can connect to, or if an error occurs
> after it did connect, the message will be deferred and retried, with
> notifications starting to go out after 4 hours, etc.
>

>>But as said before in this thread: properly configured MTAs will
>>retry to deliver up to 5 days at least.
>

> But not everybody wants to wait several days for their emails. Over
> here, people start jumping up and down if there's more than 30 minutes
> delay...

If the final destination is up, there won't be any delay unless some
part of the Internet outside your control is down.

If the final destination is down, the users aren't going to get their
email regardless of whether it's held on originators' servers or some
secondary MX between,

Still haven't established (to my mind) the need for backup mail exchanges.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait