OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:35:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 15:55, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 01:53:51PM -0700, bruce wrote:
> > where can you go to get a complete/downloadable system.. (not a bunch of
> > apps) that you can setup for a webserver, or for an ldap server.. that's
> > essentially ready to go.. i envision something that you install, reboot, and
> > it's ready to run... not just that the underlying apps are installed...
>
> Oh, I see. You want a systems integrator. I bet quite a few people on this
> list do that. Hey, pay me enough and *I* will. :)

No, he wants an integrated system.  That could easily be a
commodity item.  Or free...  Only the first one takes any work.

> > as you know, there's often more that has to be done to get an app to
> > run/be useful than just installing...
>
> The problem is that by definition, every case has different needs.
> Otherwise, it *would* be a matter of just installing.

No, there are a dozen or so configurations that would cover a
lot of needs.  How many ways does Apple offer Mac configurations
and how many Mac users hire a systems integrator to get some
work done or before being able to listen to some music?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com