OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat May 21 17:45:33 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 01:28, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>GCC4 is a improvement. So these
>>would flow from Fedora to others. Other changes could come from other
>>platforms to Fedora.  If we cannot share core, we can share ideas.
>>

>Sharing should go both ways.

Yes. thats what I said above. obsolutely agree with you on this

>  Their good ideas include a 'run from
>CD' version so you can easily test a release against your hardware
>without a destructive installation, and a single-CD base install.
>These are great features currently missing in Fedora.

If you consider this worth a dicussion, this should go into Fedora-devel
or bugzilla.

>I think it should be much more dynamic than a committee decision.

Well its still a committe decision since getting "consesus" on this can
be hard but your inputs if proposed well with adequate research and
rationale will definitely be considered. The previous "dynamic"
discussions in fedora-devel about packages getting dropped was only
pointless flamewars. Hopefully that doesnt get repeated yet again

>What I mean is that Core vs. Extras is an administrative concept related
>to who controls what packages.  From a user's perspective the important
>grouping is the set of packages that need to be installed on any
>particular machine, which will be related only to the purpose of the
>installation - and for most purposes I'd expect a mix of Core and Extra
>packages to be wanted. What matters from the user's side is the
>effort/bandwidth needed to choose and install them, not where the master
>copies are stored.

Yes but if Fedora Core should be one CD it shouldnt just be a random
mixture. It can be targetted towards either the desktop or server or
something like a blown up version of boot.iso . If we target the desktop
then it boils down to what should be the default for things like the
browser, office suites and so on. If its the server its pretty use to
determine that Apache will the default web server but the rest is still
open to discussion. All I would ask people discussing it here who
believe they have the right solution is to write a good proposal and
post it to fedora-devel list instead of endless arguing about it here.
You are not reaching the developers and you wont get your problems
resolved or your ideas implemented by abstract talks in this users list

regards
Rahul