Load balanced, failover internet connections

Johannes Findeisen mailman at hanez.org
Sun May 22 23:18:39 UTC 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 17:35, Lai Zit Seng wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2005, Aaron O'Hara wrote:

> >> Are you referring to having highly-available network access to your
> >> single FC2/3 box?
> >>
> >> I suppose in that case you should at least be looking at having at least
> >> two network links to two different network switches in the same logical
> >> network, and have both ports run together as a bridge.
> >>
> > I'm referring to an environment where an office has 1 FC Firewall with 2
> > different ISPs providing internet access.  While both are up, utilize
> > both (perhaps with a preference to one if there are different caps),
> > when one goes down, use the one that's up.
> >
> I see. I haven't come across any nicely packaged software that does
> this... so far all that I've seen so far are a bunch of scripts... sorry.
> I assume you've already Google'd and seen the most common stuffs :)

I do not have a solution but lets see what information we have?

1. I know that one method is called Multilink

2. I know it works with PPP (does it work with PPPOE too?)

3. I know that one method is called EQL and is "serial line load balancing"
   but the ISPs dosn't seem to provide EQL.

4. In general it is called "Load Balancing"

Does someone know more?

Okay, i do not know how to do it but relly would like to set this up and build
some packages for that. I have some time at the moment so lets do it! I do
not have two lines here at home but i maybe could set things up and test
vitually.

If someone is interested please post here! Then lets collect some information
and set this up... ;-) I have looked for such a "ready build" solution for
long long time.

Regards
--
Johannes Findeisen

P.S.: Doesn't it look nice without top-posting?
He, what does he mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting