OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 23 12:33:42 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>Well, for one thing, Fedora started off as a 4-CD set while Ubuntu
>>had the advantage of starting fresh.
>

> Ubuntu started with debian packages - I'd argue that Fedora is a
> better starting point.

Debian beats Fedora here. There are 13,000 or so packages already built
for Debian.

If you don't like sendmail & postfix, then maybe exim is to your taste?
Or even zmailer?.

Want a light-weight desktop? fvwm is there. Dillo for a featherweight
browser. links (the real one), w3m....

>>Making Fedora fit on one CD means removing packages and not everyone
>>agrees on which packages should be moved to Fedora Extras.
>

> Moving, not removing.  The idea is to re-arrange things so most
> installs only need one CD, but all the other packages are still
> available.  Rather than argue over what should be on that one

Debian does this already, supporting my contention Debian's a better
base the Fedora Core.

As one who's been maintaining RHL since 3.0.3 and Debian since the death
of RHL was announced, I will assert I regard Debian's package-management
tools are better.

It's not dpkg vs rpm - they provide roughly equivalent functionality,
but Debian's apt-get vs yum and up2date.

Anything I can do with yum or up2date I can also do with apt-get, but
apt-get does more that I find useful.

--

Cheers
John