Scripting question, [small programming question

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 23 15:33:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 08:33 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 03:43:53AM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Could someone help. I have chosen a bad naming convention for a long list, and
> > I need to make a small alteration. The list looks like the following
> > 001-Fig 1-1.jpg
> > 013-Fig 4-4a.jpg
> > 024-Fig 5-6.jpg
> > 035-Fig 5-17.jpg
> > etc...
> > I would like to add a 0 to each group of three numbers at the beginning of
> > each name so that 001-Fig 1-1.jpg becomes 0010-Fig 1--1.jpg for example.
> > Could someone help me with the quick way to do this?
>

> Hi Claude.
> I see you've received some solutions on this so I won't add to them, but
> I do want to correct your terminology.
>
> This isn't a programming question.  Its a scripting question.

Jeff

This is definitely a scripting question.  However, to correct your
terminology, scripting *_is_* programming.  Shell scripting is
programming in an interpreted language, as is perl, python, and and many
other languages.

The complexity of the task (or lack of complexity) does not change what
the task is ( programming ).

Jeff Vian