[OT] difference of Scripting and programming

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 23 21:40:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 16:05 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:42:05PM -0700, Ian Puleston wrote:
> > > bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Nathaniel Hall
> > > My personal thought is that programs are compiled prior to the user
> > > executing it.  A script is compiled at the time it
> > > is run.  Is that a good way to differentiate them?
> >
> > Not really since Basic is a programming language that's usually interpreted
> > rather than compiled. I'm sure most of us know what is scripting and what is
> > programming, the problem is putting that down in words. My attempt would be:
> >
> > Programming is writing a program of statements that tell something what to
> > do. Computer programming is writing a program of statements that tells the
> > computer directly (or through an interpreter) what to do.
> >
> > Scripting is a type of programming that involves writing a script of
> > commands that tell some other program, such as a shell or editor, what to
> > do.
>
> Hi Ian, I like this approach.  um, but...
>
> When you write a C program, isn't the source code a "script of commands"
> telling another program (the compiler), what to do?

yes

> I think the essence and intent of what you are saying is exactly what I
> was thinking, but is there a loophole there ?

Not really.  A compiled program also tells another program what to do.
For example a compiled binary interacts with the hardware by making
system calls that are handled by the kernel or the video driver or .....

A program that makes direct hardware calls is severely frowned upon
these days.  Thus, except for the kernel and specialized hardware
drivers, all programs, whether they be binary executables (compiled) or
scripts (interpreted) actually interact in defined ways with other
programs (the shell, the kernel, the compiler, the interpreter, etc).