Comparing 2 Files for differences

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 24 12:38:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 08:33 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:47:15PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> > thanx Alexander. The below is what I got. Does this mean there are no
> > noted differences.? Cheers.
> [...]
> > [root at localhost php]# diff -a /usr/local/lib/php.ini
> > /home/coolboarderguy/downloads/php/php.ini.backup
> > [root at localhost php]#
>
> Yep. I personally find the 'diff -u' format to be the most readable. And if
> you're a visual person aided by differences in color, you may want to
> install colordiff from Fedora Extras (cdiff in current FE, colordiff in the
> development branch). It's a filter for the output of diff that adds in
> helpful coloring changed lines appear obviously different.

One I've come across recently is xxdiff, a GUI frontend for diff that
will show you the two files side by side and highlight the differences.
It's not in Extras (yet) but I have an FC3 RPM for it at:

http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/sysutils/

It's based on qt so you'll need the qt libraries installed ("yum install
qt") if you want to try it.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>