How do I enable nightly yum?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 24 12:54:35 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 04:48:29PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>
>>>If you've got a broken glibc, you're going to have problems if you reboot
>>>or
>>
>>Not necessarily immediately.
>

> Isn't that worse?

Depends on the problem. Whatever, automatic updates would do nothing to
improve the situation whereas updating manually gives me some prospect
of knowing a software update _might_ be a factor.

> [...]
>
>>I hate the thought of a power failure while a software update is in
>>progress. Whether it happens to me or not, it must happen to some folk
>>somewhere somewhen.
>

> Sure, but that could happen during a non-automatic update too. Any reason
> it's more likely with automatic updates?

It could, but when I do this:
sudo yum -i upgrade
then I get messages telling me what it intends to do. For example,
earlier today I got to install a new kernel. I know about it, so I know
that something relevant has changed.

I've also noted that others don't like this new kernel. It stops some
machines from booting.

If the machine went down before I reconfigured grub (which I did before
I saw others' problems), I'd maybe have a dead box.

If the update had been done automatically, I'd not know about the new
kernel and there several things I might try before visiting the sick box
to see what was wrong with it.

Even then, I'd not automatically assume the kernel might be involved
because I'd not know that it had changed.

Knowing there's a new kernel elevates it in my mind, more so as its
immediate predecessor was a dud on my laptop.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait