Best partitioning?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed May 25 06:40:08 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Gerald Thompson <geraldlt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now some people will say that you can put / into the LVM group too, I
> tried this and I was unable to make my system bootable with / in the LVM
> group.  This may change in FC4, ...

I've been putting / in LVM at least since FC2, on many different
types of machines (intel); and I've never had problems.  The only
time I had any sort of issue was using a high-end expensive hardware
RAID (SCSI) disk array; but that was just because it picked the
wrong SCSI driver at first (and that wasn't LVM's fault).

I'd still try putting / in LVM.  Only if for whatever reason you are
not able to get it to work would I put it in a regular partition.
Use LVM whenever possible, it will make your life so much
easier.

Gerald, what kind of hardware did you have?  Did you try
reporting the problem?  Were you using grub, or did you
force a lilo bootloader?
--
Deron Meranda