Best partitioning?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:26:35 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you happen to know how it would handle an install where
> /home was an existing volume inside LVM and the only thing
> you wanted to keep?

Disk Druid will recognize existing logical volumes just like it
recognizes existing partitions.  So as long as your tell it not to
format your /home logical volume you should be fine.  (And
also don't ever delete the /home logical volume, or it's data
will be gone even if you add a *new* /home back in.)

The only potential problem is if you're upgrading from a distro
that had used LVM-1 instead of LVM-2 (that includes RHL 8..0,
RHL 9, and FC1).  In that case the upgrade will attempt to
convert LVM versions.  This should work perfectly fine, but it
is in theory a little bit riskier that say upgrading from FC2 which
used LVM-2.

[I don't actually know what the LVM-1 to LVM-2 conversion does
of if it touches the disk at all.]
--
Deron Meranda