Timestamp on eMails

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Thu May 26 21:25:54 UTC 2005

Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:
> Hi,
> on my mailclient, Thunderbird, it seems to be a -1 hour timedifference
> between "your" messages and mine.
>
> Mine are stamped according to the correct timezone i.e. Oslo: GMT + 1 hrs.

When I look at the headers of your message (the one I'm replying to), I see
	Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:19:24 +0000
and that would be wrong for Oslo.  Like Amsterdam (where I'm writing
from) that should be +0200.  The headers also show that the first mail
gateway (osl1sminn1.broadpark.no -- your ISP I presume) received the
mail at Thu, 26 May 2005 20:23:46 +0200, i.e. if the time zones were to
be believed, 2 hours and a few minutes later.  In other words, your
timezone is *not* correct.

> Should Thunderbird present your messages on my local time or your local
> time? Or are they shown as GMT?  In that case, why isn't mine? It looks
> like many of you are located in the US (.com / .edu etc.).  Yes, I know
> you can still have those extension and live/work in Europe.

Thunderbird displays in the recipient's local time.

--
Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org>