managing servers...

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sun May 29 00:25:06 UTC 2005

> bruce wrote:
>
> >hi..
> >
> >i'm trying to get my hands around the issue of managing servers. in
> >particular, i'm trying to get a better understanding of how
> people manage
> >their servers when it comes to installing/upgrading apps.
> >

> Check for this:
> http://oscar.openclustergroup.org/ - you can use this to
> massive install
> and manage you servers packages (and much more)
> http://www.xcat.org/ - this will also do the job, check this
> one if you
> have IBM servers (good for all other servers also)

Bruce, last I checked on OSCAR, it has a couple of limitations, chief among
them is that is only supports FC2 stock.  Updates are not recommended on the
cluster, which should be secured from the Internet for this reason. OSCAR is
most frequently used in large clusters for bioinformatics research.  It's
good for what it does, which might not be what you need.  A while back,
Linux Journal published a short article on setup, which is easy in the right
environment.

Erik