[Fedora] Resizing those partitions!

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun May 29 14:10:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 03:31, Richard Crawford wrote:

> Heh.  Yes.  Live and learn.  The system stopped delivering e-mail after it was
> full of music.  It took me a couple of hours to figure that out.  I ended up
> deleting something like 10GB of music files which I had spent the past couple
> of days ripping from my CD collection (including -- sadly -- a few Tom Waits
> tunes that I can't get anywhere else now).
>
> I think that a separate partition -- /music, I suppose -- is probably the way
> to go.

A quick fix would be to setup a soft link under /var/shared to point to
a music directory in your /home partition.  Create the directory
/home/music, copy all your mp3 files from /var/shared/music to
/home/music, delete all the files under /var/shared/music, delete the
/var/shared/music directory, create the soft link /var/shared/music
which points to /home/music.  Problem solved.

This will allow you to move all those files from under /var to
/home/music without having to change your applications, they would still
point to /var/share/music.

When you add a new drive or rebuild the system you should look at using
lvm.  lvm gives you the tools to manipulate the size of various file
systems on your system.

Also depending on if your system is strictly a home system used as a
personal workstation you may want to just put everything under / (root)
except for swap and /boot.  I would not recommend this for a production
server or a server with large numbers of users.  But for a personal
workstation that has a single user or limited users you eliminate the
whole problem of running out of space in one file system while having
plenty of space in another.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com