computer to "smart device" - subnet question

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun May 29 14:20:52 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 22:05, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Setting the netmask for the computer to 255.255.0.0 allows communication
>>  between a computer with addresses in the 192.168.127.x and with
>>devices in the 192.168.2xx.x range. The problem I am experiencing is
>>intermittent dropout of "smart devices" that also have settings for
>>masking and are set to 192.168.127.xx with a mask of 255.255.255.0. The
>>computer ethernet address is set to 192.168.217.14.
>>
>>Anyway, could the intermittent dropout with communication be caused by
>>the masking on the smart device not renging with the IP of the computer
>>or would the broader setting for the computer be enough to not cause a
>>loss of connectivity.
>

> You can count on the intermittent connectivity being caused by the
> netmasking not being consistent on all devices in a flat network as you
> are describing.
>
> If you have different subnets you will need to define gateways which
> will act as routers between the subnets.  Those gateways will be
> configured as the default routes on the devices within the subnets.  Any
> packet not on the local subnet will get sent to the gateway for
> delivery.
>
> Either set all the subnet masks the same, or setup routers between the
> subnets.

I believe they are using switches and setting up gateways without a
router. I am coming in late to this problem and the answers will help
when I check out what their whole setup is. So far, just have bits and
pieces and noticed this pecularity in the setup they are using.

thanks,

Jim

--
Some Windows were made to be broken.