Failing drive?

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sun May 29 16:45:52 UTC 2005

On Saturday 28 May 2005 02:07 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 28.05.2005 schrieb Ashley M. Kirchner um 19:49:
> >     ...in fact, I have a brand new drive that just went in, and it shows
> > pre-fails in its report.  Manufactor date on the drive says Apr. 2005.
> > Explain those pre-fails to me.
>
> Hm, according to "man 8 smartctl" I wasn't correct and a Pre-fail entry
> isn't bad as long as the normalized value isn't less or equal to the
> threshold. So reviewing your selftest output none of the Pre-fail or
> Old_age registers seem to indicate a reason for sorrows.
>
> Maybe see too: http://aplawrence.com/Words/2005_01_23.html
>
> Alexander
One thing to watch for is also temperature. As the drive warms they will
recalibrate themselves......

Now wait a moment... Do you have a cdrom on the same channel??

I have had numerous problems with cdroms and hard drives on the same channel.
--
John H Ludwig

Common sense is so rare, why do they call it common!!!

I'm not schitziod! I got better tomorrow.