solved - Re: server Crashing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 1 14:57:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 14:10 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I tested the PSU and all looks fine - erronious report from lm_sensors

I get that, too.

> I replaced the memory with the DR333 and the memory errors vanished.
> Funny how it's been fine for 2 years though.  The only thing I can
> think of is that I updated the kernel a few months back.

I've got some faulty DIMM SDRAM that will work, to some degree, in
various PCs here (though completely rejected by others).

Most of the time the PC will work fine, but occasionally it'll have some
unexplained error.  You think it's just a programming fault, but once
you swap the RAM, the box becomes 99.99999% reliable.  All I can guess
is that the fault exists in some part of the RAM that's either not used
often, or is usually gobbled up by something that does nothing most of
the time.

The only time a PC is 100% reliable is when it's unpowered.  You can
tell, with absolutely precision, what it will do.

I read messages from the public lists.