Fedora 4 upgrade

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 08:40:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 09:35:56AM +0800, Samuel Yin wrote:
 > If you just installed FC3, why not wait for FC5 early next year instead
 > of FC4. Since you are new to Linux/FC, I don't think there are two much
 > important differences between FC4 and FC3 to you.

The most important difference between FC3 and FC4 is that FC3
doesn't have too much time left before it reaches the end of its lifecycle
and gets transitioned to the fedora legacy folks.

Given the limited time remaining for FC3, I've held off on rebasing the
FC3 kernel to a newer upstream, which is why it's sticking at 2.6.12.
Unfortunate, because a lot of bugs in bugzilla are definitly fixed
in 2.6.13/14.

I toyed with the idea of doing one more FC3 kernel before it reaches
EOL, but modulo security bugs, that probably isn't going to happen now.
The effort required to identify the correct subset of patches that
got merged upstream, resolve their dependancies, and bend them to
fit the older kernel tree, getting them tested, and fixing up any
regressions (kernel updates always seem to go through 1-2 iterations
in updates-testing before going live) just isn't worth it.

So if you've some long-lingering FC3 kernel bug, your best hope
right now is to move to FC4, because chances are, it's not going
to get fixed.

(For info: At FC3 EOL, all still-open kernel bugzillas will get
 migrated to FC4, and put into NEEDINFO along with a
 "Please upgrade, and re-test" comment).

		Dave