Print HTML file via shell command

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:15:18 UTC 2005

On 11/1/05, Berna Massingill <bmassing at cs.trinity.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:02:04AM -0800, Leon Pu wrote:

> >>  I want to print out the HTML file in its web page format, not the HTML
> >>  source.
> >>
> >>  It's better to print out the HTML file in web format via one shell
> >>  command likes [htmllpr foo.html].
> >>
> >>  If there is no possibility to print out HTML via shell command
> >>  directly, is it possbile to convert the HTML file to PDF or PostScript
> >>  by shell then I can print out?
> >>
> >>  Thanks for your reply.
>
> There's a program "html2ps" that I think will do what you want.  It's a
> Perl script, and a Google search for "html2ps" should find it.

Last time I tried to use that, it was a little clunky. It may have
improved in the last couple of years though.

Given that Firefox has a pretty decent 'print to ps' option, it's
disappointing that you can't access it from the command line. It would
be great to be able to script stuff like

  $ firefox --as_ps http://example.com/ > example.ps

Dave...