Why Fedora ?

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:38:52 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Perkins <perk at iag.net>
Sent: Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 12:33:39AM -0500
To For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Why Fedora ?

> Vikram Goyal wrote:

I don't think so. Bleeding edge software is a diff beast and a normal
user wouldn't be using it at all. To test what I mean, try rpms from
bleeding releases.

There's no desktop distro, developers distro etc in linux world. If you
want to develop something, install the devel rpms.  That's all.

> Point being, if Fedora works on your system(s),
> by all means, use it.

Here the point is not if it works, but how it worked before than the
present. There's a frequent break in the continuity of software in terms
of options and integration, where it was not necessary or could be
cicumvented.

> If you can take the time to fix what breaks, more
> power to you.

It's not possible for anyone to be able to fix everything. Open source
empowers one to be able to tweak something but does'nt necessarily means
every one can do it.

> Linux is about _choice_- you don't have to do all the
> upgrades all the time,

But one has to upgrade the distro ver or not OR shall one stick with the
distro version one liked at aparticular point of time forever.

> staying on the bleeding edge; you can "freeze"
> the system, except for security updates, you can use a file manager
> other than Nautilus,

The point I made about nautilus was in context to applications being
stripped of good usable options in the previous releases to some strange
abnoxious way of doing the same things, even if takes 10 mouse-clicks to
achieve the same action, which took 3 before.

As far as using apps other than the mainstream apps is another headache,
since not much upgradation exists for them. There's also fear of them
getting obsoleted. Rather we have expierienced good stable apps getting
obsoleted and replaced by stripped down versions of same. One good
example is metacity, which replaced sawmill or sawfish window manager in
gnome.

> and you can use a desktop different than Gnome
> (which I happen to like well enough, I also like Windowmaker.) Just my
> $0.02...

Of course one can use other desktops does not means one wants to,
especially when one has got used to it. You will know what I mean over
an extended period of time, when you go in cycle of unlearn and relearn
to do the same mundane desktop chores which you had mastered or got used
to in previous releases. And I tell you , it sucks one of interest,
energy and fills one with frustration.
My Rs0.002...
--
vikram...