A test malloc program makes 64-Bit FC-4 dying

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Thu Nov 3 23:22:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 04:51:17PM -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> That's probably too, but my question is: why does this program quickly
> terminate on other platform (RHEL 4/3, FC-4 32-bit) without grinding those
> machines to an almost halt, but not on FC-4 64-bit ? All machines have 1GB
> RAM.

It's not how much RAM, but how much swap disk they have that probably
matters.  It will fill the available RAM nearly instantly, then grind away
till the swap disk is full too, and then die.

> Secondly, why cant I limit the memory usage using ulimit (it seems to have no
> effect) ?

You probably need to be using ulimit -d rather than -m

--
Justice is when you get what you deserve.
Law is when you get what you pay for.