Why Fedora ?

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Fri Nov 4 04:29:28 UTC 2005

Vikram Goyal wrote:
>><huge snip, for brevity; sorry>
>>
>>Your points (that I snipped out) are all valid, I'm coming in from a
>>different point of view.
>
> Thanks for accepting the views which I think disturbed quite a few
> people here.

Heh heh... yeah, that happens. No big deal :)

> The point I wanted to make with my rant was that I have observed over a
> period of time, say about three years that there "had been" very good...

A point made elsewhere on this thread is that Fedora is a "fast-paced"
distro (not so much "bleeding edge" or "leading edge"), as there are
frequent updates to the system. I've been using Slackware all this time
(10 years), and I'd pretty much stick with the distribution's system
files, and update the kernel (which I tweaked for my system) and
Firefox. Unless I had a really good reason to mess with anything else, I
didn't bother with it. To me, Fedora is more of a thrill-ride, while
with Slackware I _might_ do a full system upgrade once a year, and
kernel upgrades about every six weeks or so (when I had the time), while
here in Fedoraland, I'm getting upgrades several times a week... fast
paced indeed...

> Windows has been a no-op for me for a long long time. 10 years from now.

I blew up Windows '95 in less than an hour; found Slackware Linux a week
or 10 days later, hasn't exploded yet...

> I agree, exploring is a part of human nature. But getting in the
> wilderness too often gets on one's nerves, even the most experienced
> experts;)

Sure, no doubts there! Like I say, I see Fedora as something of a thrill
ride; staying on top of security updates can become an obsession, no
matter the platform. I see it all as "managed chaos", and I try to keep
it down to a dull roar as much as possible... of course, I'm just doing
the occasional development stint, the rest of the time I'm reading this
mailing list and running yum every time something needs to be updated... ;)

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.