wget not resolving domain names

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 4 12:21:54 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth:

>> They're useful as long as you know what you're doing :-)
>> Too bad too many people don't :-(

Derek Martin:

> I don't really agree; they're totally redundant.  You're better off
> just using an A record.  That will always behave intuitively and
> completely avoids all the stupid problems associated with CNAMEs.

I was under the impression that CNAMEs were supposed to act as some sort
of redirecting instruction (this is the name that you should be using,
it's the one we consider canonical), so stop using the other domain name
you original tried to use.  Though nothing appears to work that way.

e.g. For DNS records like this

print     A      192.168.1.10
printer   CNAME  print
printers  CNAME  print
printing  CNAME  print

Where you're wanting people to use "print" (+ domain name) as the
address for your printer, but somewhere along the line people have been
using other addresses you'd like them to no-longer use, but don't want
to block from being used.

I read messages from the public lists.