Do i have to worry ?

Vijay Gill vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:52:59 UTC 2005

> The remedy sounds like it solved your problem, but I don't understand
> why there mere use of the drive cache, which should be transparent,
> should cause CRC errors directly.
>
> Maybe there is an underlying issue with cable length or quality vs the
> UDMA speed in use with it... when the cache was enabled the drive could
> spew back data fast enough to show the problem?  Just a guess that maybe
> dropping down a UDMA level or two might also make the problem go away.
> Although it being a VIA chipset, anything is possible or even likely.

I had found that solution over the net (in some obscure link after
searching for days). I had tried changing the cable also, but it did
not work. Anyhow, my system is as stable as it should be after I
disabled the cached flushes (sorry I wrote cached writes earlier). My
drive reports the following in the output of dmesg

hde: cache flushes supported

i run hdparm -W0 /dev/hde in /etc/rc.local to disable that.

Vijay G.