Yum not updating

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 19:17:07 UTC 2005

On 11/4/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> At 9:10 AM -0500 11/4/05, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>If I might add my own two cents/pence/centimes/pfennigen/dinars/etc:
> >>
> >>THis morning I attempted my morning update using smart. I could not
> >>raise livna by any channel whatsoever--not by a repo-metadata channel,
> >>and not by the apt-rpm channel that installs with the atrpms version of
> >>smart. Fortunately, when smart has a problem with any given channel, it
> >>just moves on. I suspect, however, that livna has had a bunch of
> >> crashes.
> >>
> >>Temlakos
> >
> >You are not alone, livna.org has also died here. I assumed the machine
> >was down and that it would get elbowed in the ribs to wake it up, but
> >after
> >2+ days of no contact, during the week, that seems a less likely
> >situation.
> >
> >Here, yum hangs for an extended time before erroring out while
> >attempting to access livna.org.  Several minutes.
> >
> >So we are wondering when it will be restored as I understand there is
> >gtk2 update because of serious security concerns.
>
> I don't use Livna much, but I've been able to reach it every time I've
> tried, including just now.
>
> There have been many complaints for a week or so about various repos not
> being available.  The common thread seems to be yum, not the repos.  Some
> people report eliminating repos one at a time and having the problem move.
> Search the list archives for yum problems.
>
> It's possible that there are connectivity problems on the Internet, though
> the Level3/Cogent spat has been resolved.
>
> Searching the list archives does not work.  Here's a list mirror to search:
>
>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
>
> or use Google:
>
>     <search terms> site:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

Thanks, Tony. I am very familiar with the aims group archive, and of
course google. As the problem seems to be wide-spread, and not just on
my machine, I'll just disable the repro and update everything else.

Thanks all for your input.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/how_can_i_be_safe_online.html