Semi-OT: VNC Alternatives.

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Sat Nov 5 08:41:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 21:28 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 16:56, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > As far as I know my company uses the Symantec A.V.
> > If there's a problem with the A.V, I'm in deep sh*t.
> > Bill-Gates' will be driver before our Windows admins will even think
> > about going A.V. free on our development machines.
>
> Maybe you can get them to turn off the realtime network scan long
> enough to be sure that is the problem.

/me smack myself on the head for not testing it yet.
Testing it now.

> > In short, unless I can: A. Find what's bothering VNC, B. Get FreeNX
> > working on x86-64 machines. Hummingbird (Exceed) is about to get a nice
> > paycheck :/
>
> I don't see how one brand or another X server is going to make
> any difference.  The network traffic will be the same unless
> they have some way to cheat and disable the scan.  Forcing
> compression on freenx would help at the expense of load on
> the server.

Here's the deal, the problem is *not* network traffic.
The server are connected to GbE switched network, and the network
utilization is fairly low.

> > Going a bit OT: Beside Exceed, any other good-and-stable (!!!) Windows
> > X-servers? (Preferably cheaper...?)
>
> Dual-boot into Linux?  Run Linux native and terminal services
> for windows apps?  Linux native with vmware player for
> windows in a virtual machines?  All of these would let you
> use your CPU for more than scanning the network for viruses.

I doubt that the power's to be will be willing to try such a radical
solution.
At least for now, Windows is our (or actually their's) main development
environment.

Gilboa