Disabling Power Saving/APM in FC3

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 5 13:03:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 14:29 -0500, Matt Roth wrote:

> How do I configure the power saving/APM options in FC3?  I've taken a
> look on the internet and the suggestions range from BIOS settings to
> kernel parameters to kernel builds with specific flags to setterm
> commands to X configurations.
>
> Specifically, I am looking to completely disable all power saving
> features such as screen blanking and disk spin-down.  The machines will
> generally be in text mode, but X is used on them occasionally with KDE.

None of my Fedora machines spin the discs down.  That's the sort of
thing I see from BIOS settings.  If you have an OS on your computer, and
you do, then go into the BIOS and turn off any power management, there,
that will turn things off after a while.  I've yet to see any OS that
can wake up a device that the BIOS has put to sleep.  Let your OS turn
things off, if you want to.

When logged in graphically, you have screensaver preferences about
powering the monitor.  You can adjust them.  For text modes, look at
"xset" (if it's still the same command as Red Hat 9.0 Linux used for
that sort of thing).

However, I don't know what you can do to stop screen blanking of login
screens (graphical or text), they always blank off for me.  I'd rather
that there was at least something showing that the PC was still alive.

I read messages from the public lists.