Did grep change it's syntax? I need to know...

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Sun Nov 6 07:38:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

>> That seems rather unlikely...  at least not in such a way as to affect
>> the rather simple grep that you're using.  More likely, your input to
>> the script has changed and you didn't notice (or your real script is
>> different from the one you posted).  Maybe there is not a space
>> character on either side of the IL that you are trying to match?  That
>> would be my first guess...

I removed the "$1" and it printed the correct file in the /blah/blah
doirectory, but the script failed to spit out an email. Here's the input:

367
WWUS30 KWNS 060329
SAW3
SPC AWW 060329
WW 843 SEVERE TSTM AR IL IN KY MO 060330Z - 061000Z
AXIS..80 STATUTE MILES EAST AND WEST OF LINE..
25S BVX/BATESVILLE AR/ - 50NNW LAF/LAFAYETTE IN/
..AVIATION COORDS.. 70NM E/W /49NNE LIT - 33NNW BVT/
HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT..1.5 INCHES. WIND GUSTS..70 KNOTS.
MAX TOPS TO 450. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 24035.

REPLACES WW 841..IL MO
REPLACES WW 842..AR MO

THIS IS AN APPROXIMATION TO THE WATCH AREA.  FOR A
COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE WOUS64 KWNS
FOR WOU3.

It should hit on the first "IL". Can someone try this on FC4 and see what
happens for you?

I still suspect wc or grep changed its options.

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***