Problem in booting new installation of Fedora Core 4

Enlightened Moderation callret at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:43:14 UTC 2005

On 11/6/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

> At 12:14 PM +0500 11/6/05, Enlightened Moderation wrote:
> >I did a new installation of Fedora Core 4 on a system with 2 hard drives
> >and which already had Windows XP installed. The configuration before
> >installing Fedora Core 4 was as following:
> >hda 20 GB has two ntfs partitions with windows xp installed in the first
> >bootable partition. hdb 40 GB had only one 20 GB bootable fat32
> partition.
> >Rest of space i.e. 20 GB was set aside free for Fedora Core 4.
> >
> >I allowed Fedora to do automatic partition in the free
> >space reserved.Also, I allowed to automatically select the place to
> >install grub ( I did not opt for advance grub options).
> >
> >The installation proceeded normal until it congratulated me for
> completing
> >the installation and to reboot the system. When I did a reboot, however,
> >did not get any grub boot loader prompt, and instead booted straight into
> >Windows XP like before.
> >
> >I figured out that Fedora did not install the boot loader in the MBR of
> >the first drive and instead installed in the first sector of /boot in the
> >second drive. Therefore, I made my BIOS to boot from the second drive
> >(hdb). However, I get a prompt telling me "Missing operating system".
>
> The BIOS change may have renumbered the drives so grub was confused.

 Or may be it looked for boot sector in the first partition of the drive,
whereas
/boot was perhaps not the first partition. I don't know if I am right!!!

 >Please let me know how can I correct this to have a dual boot system with
> >windows XP and Fedora Core 4.
>
> You can set up your boot.ini file to chain to grub if you want. You need
> to copy the grub bootsector from the linux partition (or wherever it was
> put) into a file on your boot drive and add a line to boot.ini.
>
> I used the rescue CD to copy the bootsector, mounting a floppy and then
> using dd to copy the bootsector to a file on the floppy. I just stumbled
> through the process, probably using man a lot. I then rebooted into
> MSWindows and copied that file onto my C: drive as C:\linux.bin, and added
> a line to boot.ini, something like:
>
> C:\linux.bin="FC3"

  I think, it would be easier for me to do this except that I would need to
look
for some help on dd; may be I can find some information from the web.
 However, I would still be interested doing it using grub. Some info I
collected
using linux rescue is posted here for more help that I would need for my
venture with grub. [Actually, I have been using linux for some time now.
However, each time I mess up grub, I do a re-install either windows or
linux to fix the problem; never doing it right by changing the grub
configuration. This time, I want to do it right by doing the necessary
changes
in the system needed.]
 fdisk -l produced the following:

Disk /dev/hda: 20.4 GB, 20416757760 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2482 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hda1 * 1 1241 9968301 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/hda2 1242 2481 9960300 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)

/dev/hda5 1242 2481 9960268+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hdb1 1 2433 19543041 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

/dev/hdb2 * 2434 2446 104422+ 83 Linux

/dev/hdb3 2447 4865 19430617+ 8e Linux LVM
  And my grub.conf file in /boot is as under:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda

#

# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that

# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.

# root (hd1,1)

# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

# initrd /initrd-version.img

#boot=/dev/hda

default=1

timeout=5

splashimage=(hd1,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

hiddenmenu

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)

root (hd1,1)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet

initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

# Should be Windows XP

title Other

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1
 Please let me know what changes to make in grub.conf for the system
to work.

 In my case, I also had some trouble booting MSWindows, as I had Extended